Center for Professional Development
About the Center
The Center for Professional Development at Intermediate Unit 1 is committed to providing support for educators, students, and districts throughout Fayette, Greene, and Washington counties. The Center is comprised of a diverse staff of experienced professionals with varying expertise in all areas of education. The mission of the Center for Professional Development is to provide educators, students, and districts with instructional resources, continued support on school improvement, grant opportunities, collaborative partnerships, innovation and design support, and professional development to move forward in all educational dynamics.
Support in science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics is offered through the Center for STEM Education and the Center for Creativity, as well as the 21st Century Learning programs. The Center for Professional Development also offers summer camps for students.
The team at the Center for Professional Development provide half or full day professional development, direct trainings throughout the school year, provides support for Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) initiatives, and facilitates workshops, courses, and online classes for Act 48 hours and credit. Team members also lead advisory councils on current educational issues and trends.
The Center for Professional Develoopment events include workshops for Act 48 hours, Pennsylvania Inspired Leadership (PIL) courses, Continuing Professional Education courses, and regularly scheduled meetings.
- STEAM Team: Exploring Innovation & Design, May 4, 2016–October 12, 2016
- PA-LETRS Module 7 Teaching Phonics, Word Study, and the Alphabetic Principle, K-2 Intervention Gr 3, May 4, 2016
- 339 Plan Training: Day 4, May 5, 2016
- Concussion: Legal Dimensions for Schools, May 9, 2016–May 16, 2016
- Writing in Science (Grades 3–8), May 12, 2016
- Creating 21st Century Learning Environments for IU1 Instructional Coaches 2015–2016 (May 2016), May 12, 2016
- Sustainable Energy II: Solar Thermal Technologies, May 18, 2016
- May 2016 Data Quality Network Meeting, May 18, 2016
- PA-LETRS Module 10 Reading Big Words: Syllabication and Advanced Decoding, May 19, 2016
- Mandated Reporting and Teachers Ethics, May 25, 2016
Each month, the Center for Professional Development publishes a newsletter to communicate upcoming professional development offerings, which include workshops for Act 48 hours, Pennsylvania Inspired Leadership (PIL) courses, Continuing Professional Education courses, and regularly scheduled meetings.
The Center for Professional Development connects districts with organizations, agencies, and individuals to create strong lasting partnerships.
For more information about our services and on the Center for Professional Development please contact:
IU1 Center for Professional Development
750 Orchard Street
California, PA 15419
Assistant Executive Director
724-938-3241 ext. 429
Director of Curriculum and Instruction
724-938-3241 ext. 268
Secretary to the Assistant Executive Director
724-938-3241 ext. 251