English as a Second Language
Looking for ESL Certification for Teachers?
ESL certification is available through the intermediate units and all courses are available online from Intermediate Unit 1. For course descriptions and certification requirements, click here.
Services for Students
Intermediate Unit 1 provides English as a Second Language (ESL) instruction to students in the twenty-five school districts in Fayette, Greene, and Washington Counties in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. English as a Second Language instruction is a part of the student's curriculum.
Currently, Intermediate Unit 1 is serving 84 English Language Learners (ELLs) in thirteen school districts. There are eleven ESL teachers employed with IU1. All Intermediate Unit 1 teachers hold an ESL certificate or are in the process of obtaining one. Our teachers provide individualized or small group instruction to the students. The students' first languages are varied. Seventeen different languages are represented.
Documents and Links of Interest
PDF Reader Required
In order to view some of the documents found on this page a PDF document reader is required. A free PDF reader, Adobe Reader, is available for you to download.
PDF documents are indicated by this icon: .
- Post-Exit ELL Monitoring Form (Elementary)
- Post-Exit ELL Monitoring Form (Middle/Secondary)
- Intermediate Unit 1 ESL Program Statistics for 2010–2011
- Enrollment Process Graphic
- Accommodation Guidelines for ELLs
- Updated State Required Exit Criteria for Pennsylvania's English Language Instructional Programs for ELLs
- ACCESS for ELLs 2010 Testing Timeline for Pennsylvania LEAs
- Parental Consent for English Language Instruction Programs
- Collaborative Meeting Form
- Pennsylvania Department of Education: English as a Second Language
- Request for Field Trip
For more information on this program, contact:
724-938-3241 ext. 242
ESL Service Coordinator
724-938-3241 ext. 414